Thursday, November 02, 2006


Wei Yi

The plan today was supposed to be to head down to school and study the whole day. It's Saturday, but me and KY wanted to come to school to study. So I was in the study room at SMU alone for a few hours waiting for KY and doing my work, when I got a call from my mom.


"Ian, I've got 2 spare tickets for the Wang Lee Hom concert tonight, want to go?"


*SCREAM* Ok not really scream. But a silent one. There was no doubt in my head who I HAD to call along. I would have to inform KY that our studying plans had turned out to be a one-night only concert at the indoor stadium.


We got there at 7.30pm and the stadium was packed. I don't know many of Lee Hom's songs but there was one song I was dying to hear. It's my favourite chinese song, and one of the only ones I know how to sing. Wei Yi. That's all I wanted to hear that night. I called some of my friends and I knew they'd laugh at me knowing I'm the last person on earth to go for a concert like this.
Once the concert started, Lee Hom was amazing! He's got a fantastic voice that goes high and low without skipping a beat. He actually looks very good in real life and more so than in the magazines or on his albums. He had a new short haircut with a long fringe and I think the new look was working well for him (and his fans). His ballads were so good. His voice was truly strong and clear. And most of his tunes were actually familiar songs which I didn't know the name of. His "Forever Love" song was absolutely fantastic. His jazz and rock & roll songs were really cool and he knows how to show off his musical talent. He played a really touching violin solo, and that really captured the audience.


It was reaching the end. And after cheering and singing along to the chinese words on the screen for more than 2 hours, I was wondering when my song would come up. He said his goodbyes and the show was ending with the music fading. I was getting anxious because the concert was going to end anytime soon. Suddenly the familiar piano accompaniments started playing. And he sang his all-time hit and my all-time favourite. There must have been thousands of people at the concert, but this was a moment of my own.


It was a magical moment. I've heard the song a million times before. Sometimes while on a bus to school, or over ktv, or maybe when I was feeling down. But it was so amazing to hear Lee Hom sing it live. It sounded better than the original track, and I felt very moved, and there are few words to describe it. As though it wasn't real. And even if he only sang that one song this evening, I would have left very happy.


So on that note, the concert ended. My mom giggling like a silly little girl and saying she'd marry Lee Hom. Her friend saying how she almost died when he played the moving violin piece. I left thinking how bloody gifted that Lee Hom is. Good-looking, talented in music and singing, and one of the biggest mando-pop stars. It was a fun evening and I hope KY had a good time too. All I know is that Wang Lee Hom came, and he sang my favourite chinese song of all time. And that's more than good enough for me.

No comments: