Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Hike

Yesterday I was on number 14 when they announced on CNA that the government was raising the GST by 2%.

I normally don't give a rats ass or a horses dick about politics, but I was paying attention to everything that Lee Hsien Loong was saying. After all, my clothes were going to cost 2% more soon. He said that the money would be used for the lower income groups and the elderly. Even though his argument was circular and ranty, I think his argument did the job. I am convinced.

We don't stop and drop a coin in a street busker's basket because we know they don't need our money. But the elderly and lower-income groups do. I think we sometimes don't donate money because we don't know how to, and we're just too lazy. And if you think of the 2% as a donation to the people who need it most, then I think that's the best way of looking at it.

So please, go ahead, take my 2% more. Just remember Mr Lee that one day, I'm going to make it big, and you're going to wish that you made the 2% 10%.

No comments: