Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Comforting Thought

I think as we get older, we appreciate our recreation time alot more. Gosh, I haven't even started working yet, but increasingly I see how important our time is. Not like I didn't realise it before, but time is become a little more precious than I remember.

The point is, because time is getting precious, what becomes equally important is the close friends we spend our time with. Not acquaintances, but the closest ones. But the concern here is that are only the handful of friends who really value the meaning of friendship.

Some people value work, their girlfriends or boyfriends, or their hobbies over their friends. And it's definately their choice. These are the things they value more than anything. It shows on their faces because when you're hanging out with them, they've got something else on their minds. You can tell who they are because you can count on them to disappear off the radar for extended periods of time. Especially when you need them the most. The unfortunate thing is, we only realise our best friends when something bad happens.

I know people who say "oh I love my pals". But that's where it ends. Talk is cheap. The kind of people that are happy hearing from their closest friends every few months or so. Kinda sad to think that there are people who don't need to hear much from their friends. And I think for a people person like me, that somehow doesn't make much sense. I have found that just a msg or a call every now and then from friends is something nice. And It doesn't take much.

As I grow up with my friends, I realise its not so much common interests that bind friends together, or even common backgrounds. It's really about their values and priorities. I find my closest pals have so different interests as me, but most importantly, we value our friendships as much as work and our own relationships. For god's sakes everyone is busy. Who really has the time? But it's the real friends who make the effort despite the circumstances.

Dz and Sil was saying dinner at my place even when we're grown up. I think of that as a comforting thought. That no matter where life takes us, we will always be able to sit together as good friends and enjoy each others company. I know my parents make it a point to abandon their kids every Sunday night to have dinner with their friends, and I understand why this is important to them. They value their friends. Fullstop. Explanation not required.

I guess I decided to write about this because lately I've come to realise who are my closest friends. The ones who've stuck with me through thick and thin. I've lost friends along the way because they don't value their friendships. And I'm not sorry for that, because I value my friends and give them my best. Fullstop. Explanation not required.

As I grow up, we begin to recognise the friends that will be here to stay for life, because life is about changes, and there will always be certain friends that will always be there for us no matter what happens. And that is very much a comforting thought.

No comments: