Thursday, November 02, 2006

Growing Up, A Superhero's Job

3 boys in one house is a mess. We would be dressed up in capes, wielding toy weapons, jumping up and down and screaming and shouting. Pretending we were superheros with a proper 9 to 5 crime fighting job. Today we all still pretend and make believe, but in other ways that we don't realise. We begin to talk like we know what we're talking about. We begin to learn to match our tie with our shirt. We begin to use words like "options trading" and "investment banking". And we play our own pretend game of superhero.



It's 2am. And I today it was the Tangs Vivocity Launch Party. I recieved the invite from Tangs, and I knew suitably sophisticated company would be required. So I asked Emilia to join me for the event. Emilia just got a job as a banker at Citibank, and I am more proud of her than she knows. There comes a point in one's life where a person finishes school, gets a real job, and starts to earn to feed the family. But it's wierd to see friends getting real jobs. Years ago, I treated Emilia to a meal at Crystal Jade, and I jokingly said that she could pay me back when she got her first paycheck. And it looks like I’ll be getting my treat back pretty soon. Are we really growing up that fast?

My internship at Tangs allowed me to make lasting friends with the people at Tangs. My friends Kevin and Priscilla invited me to come and party with them. I remembered what working at Tangs was like. An awesome 9 to 5 with great colleagues in a family environment like no other. It was interesting hanging out with older friends. They gave me a different perspective of life and work. They were like my helping hand into the world of the 9 to 5 superhero.

I knew what the crowd would be like for the party. Posh. Or something like that. And as a superhero has to dress accordingly to fight crime, so should a boy suitably dress up as well. I slicked back my hair, put on my black pinstripe pants, and wore a fancy shirt with my shiny shoes. When I'm in my work clothes, I don't recognise myself when I look in the mirror. It's kinda wierd and I can't explain it. But that's how we play pretend. We put on a nice shoes and a spiffy shirt. And suddenly we're all grown-up, and ready to sell financial plans and attend cocktail parties. We see it in the comics. Everyone knows that it’s much easier to save the world in a costume.
As I waited for Emilia outside the store promptly at 9pm, I could see the beautiful guests queueing up for the party with their invites in their hands. Tangs had transformed the store into an invite-only club. Other shoppers were amazed, pointing and smiling at the scene that the store was creating. The store was darkened and there were strobing lights and heavy beats coming from the store. Welcome to the wonderful world of the superhero.

As we entered the store, we noticed the ceiling was covered with balloons. The guests were mingling, smiling and giggling with champagne flutes in one hand. We saw alot of local "celebs". Many friends and customers of the Tangs family. Being amateur superheroes, we only managed to nab the Moet & Chandon much later than evening. And since every superhero must carry a weapon, a glass of red and white wine was our weapon of choice. As host Kui Jien sounded the start of the party, the balloons from the ceiling burst simultaneously, and almost sent our glasses flying. The store lit up, and we were guided to hit the counters and start shopping. There were waiters handing out champagne and hor's deurves (confirm spelt wrong), (almost illegal) pole dancing going on at the lingerie section, several fashion shows, a hip hop performance and a DJ spinning music at the various parts of the store. The beautiful guests were enjoying themselves, and so were we. It felt like we were working undercover. Checking out a secret superhero meeting of sorts, except with alcohol. We were happy, smiling and pleased, but definitely not in the right state of mind to spend the $20 vouchers they gave us.

After 7 drinks (each unfortunately) and many bites of food, we still managed to walk out of the store in a straight line. I guess we hold our alcohol as grown superheroes should do. Which may actually qualify us as one. We sat down at the vivocity roof deck, and we talked about Emilia's upcoming job, and my not-so-upcoming plans for the future. I thought about how I was going to attend 3 friend's weddings this year, of how a friend of mine just had his kid, and how of course Emilia was getting a job soon. And I think we both then realised we weren't playing pretend anymore.

It's a pretty intimidating thought isn't it? One day you're dressing up for school presentations and laughing at yourself in the mirror, and the next thing you know, you're dressing up for your first day at work. I've always been the kid who couldn't wait to grow up. Who’s always wanted to be the grownup. Who’s always wanted to get a job. But I guess we're not playing with guns and swords anymore. Our time has come. It’s time to save the world. And a superhero's got to do what a superhero's got to do.

No comments: