Thursday, November 02, 2006

Fucking Bravery Kind

I spoke to Shaun over MSN. God its been awhile. I haven't talked to Shaun since AC days maybe. And it was good to hear from him. The last I heard of him was when he chose to study Physiotherapy at NTU or some poly. And I thought it took courage to do something like that so different. The rest of us were doing the safe thing by going to NUS or SMU to get boring degrees. But Shaun was different. He wanted to pursue his dream.

Well last night he told me this was his last week in school. After studying almost a year and a half of physiotherapy, he decided that it wasn't his thing. I was surprised at first. Of course, KY had mentioned it to me before, but to hear it from Shaun felt a little different. He said he wanted to transfer to SMU to study Accountancy. I bet everyone's first reaction would have been "what the hell Shaun?". But I think out of all the many people who don't know what the heck they want in life, here's one guy who knows what he wants to do.

All I can say for Shaun, is that I'm glad he tried something he really wanted to. It takes some fucking guts to go and do what you want to do. And it takes more fucking guts to try, and say HEY, I don't like this shit, and move on. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to decide to quit physiotherapy after more than a year in school. But he still made the leap. How many of us can say we choose to do something for ourselves that required a drastic change? How many of us can say we chose happiness over something practical? Very few. And that's what I call fucking bravery.

No comments: