Thursday, November 02, 2006


Of Sons And Fathers

Today I visited Selva at Mount Elizabeth hospital after school. Selva was my floor manager at the IMF / World Bank Conference, and just a few days ago, he became a father to a baby boy. It's wierd visiting a friend to see his new kid haha. You realise that you're getting older. As I looked at the quiet, sleeping baby, I realised how amazing this was. I really felt happy for Selva. To think this monkey of a guy was going to be a dad haha. Just seeing Selva and his kid really reminded me how amazing life is. I know he will make a great dad.

After Mount E, I took a cab down to Great World City where my dad was opening his new 2nd outlet. It's located at the checkout of Cold Storage. And it looks amazingly like our flagship outlet. It was funny seeing people stare at our ice cream and our sign like they had never seen it before. We have taken for granted the fact that everyone around Serene Centre knows about us haha. But it's cool. Our first shop started like that, and already on our first day we've had more sales than our opening day at the original shop.

I was thinking back of the times when we had the small shop at Serene Centre, when we were first starting out. When no one knew who we were. We have come such a long way. And you have no idea what our family has gone through to reach this stage. From my dad sufferring from a heart attack. To his recovery. To him quitting his job. To him setting up the shop. To him finally reaching this point. It's been tough on him. Seeing him at the new shop standing behind the counter made me more happy than you know. Before I left the shop, I hugged him and told him "I am very proud of you Bap". And even though I don't always say tell him so. I am more proud of him than he knows. Of how hard he has worked for his dream. Of how hard he has worked for us. My dad is testimony to the fact that if you love something, and you do your best to do it well, you can make it too. I am so proud you bap, and there is no son more proud of his father.

No comments: