Monday, February 19, 2007

A Good Hand

Life isn't fair. And I've never believed it to be. When we're born, we've got a family set for us by default whether we like it (or them) or not. They come in different shapes and sizes. Some big some small. Some with siblings and some without.

But I got lucky. I would say I was fortunate to have a good hand of cards. One king, one queen. Like 2 cards of a kind.

I am very amazed how my parents do the things they do. They are far from perfect, but they're as close to perfect as possible. My dad's a caveman, my mom's a neat freak. But beyond the first impression are 2 amazingly capable adults. A couple that has always been responsible to their friends, their family, and most importantly their children.

If there's anyone I want to be when I grow up, it would be any one of my parents. My dad is smart, hardworking, devoted and has patience like a tree. My dad met his match in my mom, a intelligent, capable, sociable and eloquent woman.

My parents have spoilt my market. They are a tough act to beat. It's my challenge to be the same people that they are. And maybe better them if humanly possible.

The best lessons that my parents have taught me have never come from their mouths. It has always shown in their actions. And I have deep respect for that. In many ways alot of their values has rubbed off more than I realise.

Watching my dad work hard all these years has taught me alot about dilligence and focus. My mom has shown me that it is possible to juggle work, friends and family at one go. And both have taught me a love for family that is more important than anything in this world.

I am lucky. And as I said, I was dealt a good pair of cards. I only hope that one day my kids can consider their cards a good hand as well.

No comments: