Saturday, February 24, 2007

Gabes felt like watching The Fountain today so we went after our proj meets. Wanted to call Boons and Weims to watch with us but they had separate movie appointments. Is today movie day or is it movie day. We watched The Fountain. One of those complex thinking movies about life and death. Saw the trailer for 300. Is 300 the movie to watch or is 300 the movie to watch seriously. Was really cool. And shit the bloody spartans make me feel like I need to work out soon.

Haven't heard from Kirky in awhile but he happened to pop up on MSN. He just came back from the states and now he's back in Beijing. Kirky's actually a friend of mine from Trinidad and Tobago. Got to know him over the summer while in Vancouver for summer school. He graduated from the U of Michigan but he's in Beijing learning chinese. Randomness square. Sometimes he makes me skype in chinese just so he can practice, but he doesn't know what being an AC boy means. If anything, I bet I'm learning a thing or two from him. There's something really random about a black guy speaking mandarin to you. Kirk do you read me?

Kirk said it'd be great if I stay in Singapore, but he said that I'd do great overseas. I think so too sometimes. That's what Professor Marco said too. And Suren. And Lumpy. And Emilia. And alot of friends I know. I think it comes from having travelled to many parts of the world before. And I stayed in England for 2 years when I was younger. I consider myself lucky to have been able to have had these experiences. At least I know that if I ever do go overseas, I'll be able to handle it. Also, my parents both went to college in the states, so they brought me and bros up with the best mix of Asian and Western values. Sometimes I feel like we have alot more space than the friends we know. EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THEY NEVER LET US HAVE PEPSI AND ICE CREAM IN THE HOUSE WHEN WE WERE YOUNGER. They never let us develop the "tiny island" perspective that we sometimes get caught up in.

I think if we're lucky. If we have the chance. We should take a leap and venture beyond our island. Not neccesarily for a long time, but long enough to find out what the rest of the world is like. Dzsil is going to Dubai. Phoebseer is going to Hongkong. University is the best time to venture out and experience the world. I will never forget my trip to Canada. I remember there was this malay footballer from Singapore, who was given the chance to play for a big team overseas, but he turned down the chance because he was afraid of airplanes and he would get homesick. Gee. How many people get the chance to live their dreams? Dammit if everyone thought like that, no one would know what the hell Singaporeans could offer to the rest of the world. I think we only have one lifetime, and we shouldn't say no to a chance to chase our dreams and make life better for our families, no matter where the opportunities may be.

No comments: