Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Friends

My mom was not happy today. She's got this friend who's cancelled on her 8 out of 10 times. "I never cancel appointments!" My mom declared. What's more this friend always cancels last minute for silly things. This sounds too familiar. My pet peeve are friends who can be counted on to be counted out. I guess me and my mom are more similar than we realise.

It all boils down to values. People like these don't really have any priority for friends. These are the friends you can count on to be consistenly be late, leave early, cancel appointments, and be thinking of something else when they're hanging out with you. The keyword here is "consistently". Everyone has to cancel at some point or another because of circumstances, but there's no excuse for friends who consistently don't make the effort.

Today at the PWC interview, Sheela asked me, "You seem like a people kind of person, but people don't always reciprocate, how do you deal with that?". Good question Sheela. I told her people are not perfect, and one can only try his or her best to be a good friend, and not expecting anything in return. Easier said than done. I try though.

My parent have told me how they've lost friends along the way because their priorities were too different. Unfortunately, so have I. I've learnt the hard way that it's alot easier keeping the friends who also also want to keep you as a friend too. Clearing a recyling bin of lousy friends means alot more time for the friends who really matter. And I am so grateful for every one of you. My smube supper goofsers. My randoms. My specs. My bros. My Porksers. And my friends in school.

I think as life takes its course, we find people who, like us, value their friends as much as we do. They may not listen to The Darkness like I do. They may not like chicken rice like I do. They may not watch Spongebob Squarepants like I do. But we have a respect for each other that we all share. And that kinda friendship will last, and hopefully, for a lifetime.

1 comment:

Julius said...

scold you lah. dont forget you canceled on me hahaha.. no hard feelings lol :)