Thursday, September 06, 2007

You pick any one of the kwok family and there's one thing we have in common, a love for food. Many years ago my grandfather started a restaurant that would become Singapore's oldest Hokkien restaurant. Years later my mom was running 4-5 restaurants / cafes. Today my dad runs Island Creamery. Every Sunday when we go for our family lunch we analyse and dissect the food we eat as if we're paid to do so. We just love our food to death.

This past week I've been going for all the bank talks. My god it's getting damn boring to the max. Some days I'm in school from 8.30 to 10pm in formal attire just to listen to a talk which doesn't enlighten or inspire. This, ironically, inspired me to think about my other career options.

After a long day of work I knocked out on my bed. The next morning, my grandma knocked on my room door and came in with a bowl of hot and crispy guo tie (pot stickers) dumplings that were out of this world. I said, "You have to teach me how to make this. Why don't you set up a stall?"

She was very happy to hear this but then she turned abit sad thinking about how she's become alot older. She said she didn't have the energy to do it, and my aunt's health wasn't very good either.

That moment I realised that maybe it might be a good idea to set up a stall myself. With my grandma's shanghainese recipes that go from drunken chicken to sweet and sour soup, I could easily assemble a menu. My grandma was really happy to hear this. Of course it's just toying with the idea, but after going for all those talks I've been thinking that maybe I don't really want to work for anyone. Besides, the ones who really make it big are the people who dare to take the biggest risks.

I'm definitely still thinking of banking as a safety, but won't it be exciting to do something different?

I've never wanted to set up my own business. It's just never been an idea I've entertained. But watching everyone slowly follow the leader has gotten me thinking maybe it's time to break away.

No comments: