Monday, September 17, 2007

This weekend has been so mad. Sotheby's south east asian paintings auction was nuts. I slept at 3am on Saturday because we had to dismantle the set to make way for the auction stage. On Sunday we wore polo Ts with a blue Sotheby's apron on. Plus white gloves. Out job was to actually GO ON STAGE AND CARRY THE PAINTINGS WHILE THE AUCTION WAS TAKING PLACE. I could so imagine my friends laughing if hey saw me do this.

There was this painting estimated at $250,000, and unfortunately I had the honour to hold it. However, the bidding shot through the roof at increments of $10,000, and it just kept going and going until I swear I was shaking and my hand were cramping up. When the hammer went down at half a million dollars I was ready to just throw the painting at the auctioneer douche who had to repeat everything in 6 languages for the rich people of the world to hear.

The paintings were alot nicer in close up and I am so grateful for this opportunity because with the $300 I got for working, I can buy a new watercolour set, an oil painting set and a handphone for my grandma. There was an artist who was also born in '84 who had a painting selling for $15,000. And then I was thinking SHIT what am I doing in school seriously.

This morning I went to Mr Tham's office at Ogilvy and it was such a nice place. He was kinda busy so I had to wait at the plush lounge area for abit. He was a nice guy, friendly, opinionated and passionate about his job. he was like, "you need courage for the job. DO YOU HAVE COURAGE FOR THE JOB?!" I was like pause, and then I was like I HAVE THE COURAGE!! I felt like like there and then I could have taken out my red undies, wore them over my brown pants, and shouted SPARTTTTTTTAAAAAA.

He asked me what I knew about O&M and I told him I liked the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. He was so passionate about that he could have been a walking Dove shower cream bottle. I thought that was cool because I feel just the same when I do something I am interested in.

I've always been interested in advertising and marketing because I don't have to think when it comes to anything creative or dealing with wordplay. It just comes. On top of that I get annoyed when things are out of alignment, jokes are not funny, and when words are wrong. Which is the A-type personality. The Advertising-type.

He was fun. He was fierce. In many ways it felt like I was talking to myself, but older. I said my mom says advertising is tough but I don't really care. He was like, "Don't listen to your parents! You have to go and do what you do!" YOU BET I HAVE TO GO AND DO WHAT I HAVE TO DO. He was like,"ok I want to see you next year for your internship, till then I want you to go and learn about art, about movies, travel, go and live! That's your homework." abso-fucking-lutely Mr Tham. Seeya next summer.

1 comment:

RueDeLangue said...

SPARTAAAAA
--Eric.