Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I finished my last interview today. Finally. After months of question marks galore, all the crossroads have finally come to an end. I am happy. Very happy. And it helped that the day ended with shopping with the poon and dinner with bangadelabe.

At 2.45pm I made my way up the Centennial Tower for my interview. I was all set. I stepped into the elevator and they were full of people who were similarly dressed. As I caught a glimpse of myself in the gold mirror walls, I didn't recognise myself for a second. There was a boy dressed in a tie and a shirt standing right in front of me that I didn't know.

In medieval days they had armour, weapons and shields. Today we have the suit and tie. And I was ready for battle.

Growing up happens before you know it. And as I looked at my reflection I thought of how much things have changed over the last few years in so many ways. And before I could complete the thought, I had reached the 14th floor.

The person interviewing me was Alfred. Alfred is the the head of global corporate banking at Citibank, and just the "head" part of his title was enough to get me a little wanna-pee-pee.

Fortunately, Alfred was nice. And he wanted to know what was up with a double major in psychology and finance. He also asked alot of other questions, many very random. One of which was something I will remember. He asked, "So Ian this is abit early, but what do you want in your career say 30 years down the road".

Alfred had been very honest with me all this while, so instinctively I could be honest with him.

I told him that I just want to be able to take care of my family no matter what.

For the good part of the interview he was smiling and being cheerful. But for the first time, he kind of looked serious, looked away into space somewhere downwards, paused as if he was making a choice, and then nooded like he knew exactly what I was talking about. I felt like I could be real with Alfred.

And that was when I knew I'd got it.

So in short, work starts tomorrow at 8.30am sharp. I'm tired, but happy, and really looking forward to this new challenge.

No comments: