Wednesday, June 20, 2007

After getting a good nights rest, I woke up feeling alot better. My first day at Citibank was such a fiasco because the office of career services called me up in the morning and very rudely accused me of ending my PWC internship short on the context that I recieved an offer from Citibank. They were so rude and condescending, with the preconcieved notion that I was playing punk.

What they didn't know was that this was between PWC and the army. For the last few months I had been extending / cutting short my internship period because my army CO had gone back and forth about deferment. In the end I told PWC that I cannot defer and I would leave my internship period as 8 weeks instead of 10. Surprisingly my OC came back finally and said I was free to go.

Left with the final contract of the shortened 8 weeks and deferment, I decided not to extend with PWC because the HR had already been damn patient with me for the last 2 months. It would also be illegal for me to not work. Which is where Citibank came in.

I pushed for an interview, and luckily I got it.

I had to leave my office on my first day of work just to see the OCS people. They were damn rude. The last time I spoke with them, I had to shout at the staff just to get my deferment letter done. It is no coincidence that the lady I shouted at was on my case again. They asked why I didn't come to them for advice. I just scoffed and said, "Are you joking? The last time I asked you to write a letter you made it so damn difficult, what makes you think I'd come to you again?" Silence.

With that, they kind of got it. My first half of my first day at Citibank so angry and wasted. I wanted to spit at someone.

I will remember what they said, "Oh especially as a social science student you should feel lucky you got the internships, you should have handled it better."

Excuse me. Why should I feel especially lucky as a social science student? Lucky? Are you joking? I fucking worked to get these internships.

You can be right or wrong, but was no need for them to be rude especially if they didn't know what was going on. I can understand how they had certain preconcieved notions, but it was supposed to be their job to be on my side, to see what was really going on. I am not disappointed with the way they handled the situation, but I was upset with how rude and condescending they were. And no one should be spoken to this way.

The case is over. Work goes on. I just left thinking "especially lucky as a social science student". Fuck stereotypes. You can take the label and shove it. I feel lucky alright, but my outcome is not because of luck. Luck is for losers.

1 comment:

gabriel said...

They actually said you were "lucky as a social science student"? I can't believe they said that! Think anyone would be offended to hear that.