Saturday, December 30, 2006

I'm no toys R us kid

I remember going to toys r us every weekend (no kidding) with my brothers and picking out one toy for ourselves every time we went. And in the background they'd play the toys r us theme song. "I don't want to grow up, I'm a toys r us kid...". Thinking back on the good old days, my gosh I don't think I'd ever guess being all grown up.

This holiday I bought 11 pairs of dress pants. And that's not funny. Although most of them were only $30. I bought 8 from Japan, where they sell dress pants in fantastic skinny styles. A blessing for those of us who want to do the runway styles at runaway prices. My quest for dress pants stemmed from the fact that I need work pants for my internships, presentations and finishing touch class. As I look at all my shirts, pants and ties laid out on the bed, I think how the hell did I get here, this act grownup kid.

Today I met up with Emilia and Evelyn. We watched Borat, and after that we went to the shop for ice cream. Our conversation was focused on work, jobs, salary and internships. It's so scary isn't it? We kinda laughed to ourselves at how old we were getting. On one hand we worry about our jobs, but to be honest, there's nothing much to worry about just yet. Emilia is a banker at Citibank, Evelyn earns like $4k plus at the hospital in Pennsylvannia, and so far I'm doing pretty ok in school. I am glad we turned out this way. Em and Eve both earn more than the average graduate, and that's really great.

It's been pretty stressful the last few days because I've been arranging internships for summer 2007. People don't realise that now is the time to start worrying about internships already. I called the Louis Vuitton Moet Chandon offices in Hong Kong, Thailand, New York and Singapore a few days ago to ask about internship opportunities. I also sent out 7 cover letters and resumes today to the various LV and Club 21 offices. There is never a guarantee of success in anything, but I have never been one to waste an opportunity.

Time is fleeting. We're all growing up. The question is, who are the ones that are really growing up? I know alot of people who aren't rising to the challenge. Who are happy just sailing along. If they're actually happy, that's good for them. But I don't think I could be happy knowing that I didn't try my best.

If I ever think I want to give up, I just ask myself " in future, do you want to be able to provide the best for your family? Do you ever want your family to worry about money?". And this is all I need to keep me on track really. I never want my loved ones to worry about being provided for, and if this means I have to work my ass off, then I will. There is no two ways about it. It's not even about the money, it's about having the means to look after the people who we love. And I never want to regret being lazy and be unable to provide for my family. That having being said, doing something you love means you can be happy while working. And I hope to pursue that as well. No regrets.

That's why I am so proud of my father. He works so hard at something he so loves for the people he loves, that's us. And beyond that, he spends alot of time with us. We may not always see eye to eye, but he is the perfect dad. I hate to admit it, but I see alot of Bap in myself. I see the side of him that works hard, the side that loves what he is doing, the side of him that takes care of his family no matter what, the side of him that loves his friends and also the funky side of him haha. We're alot more similar than I sometimes think.

So, I hope to keep working towards my goals. It's not easy sometimes. But step by step I think I'm getting there. Ha, Í've always been the kid who wanted to grow up. And in many ways, not much has changed, although I appreciate my childhood even more. Growing up has been the best thing that has happened to me. I guess I'm no toys r us kid.

No comments: