Thursday, December 14, 2006

Proud

We've gotten back most of the results this term. And I think the results are pretty reflective of how much effort we put into school. I am very grateful I got 2 A+'s this term because I have never seen a single A+ in my university life, and I worked my butt for it. I have 2 good friends who didn't do so well this term. But I'm proud of them, and I'll tell you why.

My first friend is very involved with Christianity and her faith. She spent alot of her time in the ministry and she's been really involved at Church, and so she spent less time in school. Even though I don't consider myself a Christian anymore, I have great respect for my friend. She put God first. And although she says doing badly in school is not good testimony, it's a sure way of showing how much God means to you.

My other friend is a soccer nut. He's not even even a nut. He's like the whole groundnut plantation. But he's very good at soccer. And he made it to represent Singapore at the inter-varsity games in Vientam. He missed alot of work this term, and I think alot of time he had catch up on rest in between matches. But he pursued his dream. He told me of how he used to play with his friends everyday after school. And finally he's managed to represent Singapore. To be honest, I was afraid he'd be spending so much time on the game, but I know where his passion is. It's in soccer. And this was a chance for him to live his dream. If he didn't make the sacrifice, he wouldn't have got on the team. And I'm proud of him.

In short. 2 of my best friends made sacrifices in order to pursue their passion. And that's something we all need to do. I admit, I don't neccessarily approve of being slack about studies. But sometimes, there are more important things to life. However (disclaimer), I am hoping they will apply themselves to the books next term. And strike the balance in their life.

For me, I've made sacrifices too. I sacrificed floorball so I could spend time with my friends. That's my sacrifice. I sacrificed my rest time so I could bring up my grades. I sacrifice my holidays so I can pursue my passion in marketing through internships. And that's just another one of my sacrifices. Basically, in order to be happy, we sometimes need to sacrifice. But that having being said, I think time management is the most important thing that a person can learn.

At the end of the day. It's what makes you proud that gets you through the day, that makes you happy. It's the things that make us proud that really make us special and unique. And that's why I'm proud of my friends. They made some impractical sacrifices that have led them to do things that they can be proud of. And how many people can say that?

No comments: