Saturday, December 02, 2006

Fingers Crossed

I just sent out an e-mail to Vincent today because he's on the panel for the Merril Lynch hiring department for their summer '07 internships. Which essentially means all expenses paid to their headquarters in Hong Kong for a summer internship. How ridiculous is that? Vincent is Auntie Grace's son and he agreed to see how he could help me out. I thought it was really cool of him to edit my resume and reply me so quick. What he did was he deleted some of the useless Primary school stuff and made me expand on my internships that I have done. I think after removing my sec sch and primary school grades and some of the silly CCA stuff I did in primary school, and bringing up all my internship experiences to the front, I look alot better on paper. I am glad that I did 2 internships in my first summer and the IMF thing this term because I wouldn't say my grades are outstanding, and at least my internship experiences will speak for themselves. I look at my resume now and it looks quite different than it used to be.

It's ridiculous how we talk of job opportunities now. I mean I talk to my friends and every now and then a name of a bank will pop up. I think we have finally reached the age. It's exciting yes, but a little gross. You know what I mean? There's something icky about money. There's something even more gross about mixing friends with business. That is something I don't think I will ever do. The problem with mixing friends with business is that money gets in the way of friendship. And I can only imagine how yucks that must be.

The only way I imagine myself mixing business with friends is by helping friends in the right direction. I've talked a few friends into drafting their resumes this holiday and I think it will be a good thing for them because most of the big banks are hiring for summer internship positions. I think internships are the best headstart for any university student who wants a taste of the working world (and who wants to end up with a job!). Two of the few people who have done internships are Weiyi and Jols, and I think its fantastic. Weiyi is also arranging a summer internship in Hong Kong and we hope to go to HK together! I'm also trying to arrange Sereneish to work at the Tangs Department Store because I think it was a fantastic experience and she will have lots of fun. Work experience speaks alot about the capability of a person that stretches beyond the classroom, and it's a waste if people don't see the importance of completing internships. It's like a snowball effect where more experience leads to more opportunities. I've made alot of friends through my internships and I see this as improving my network of friends because they aren't confined to the same background or school as me, and I think this makes life a little more interesting.

Well thank God for internships. It's always interesting to try something different and push yourself towards new goals. It doesn't hurt that work experience makes us alot more valuable to our future emplyers, but most importantly it is a fulfilling experience that really challenges you and stirs your passion and interest. this being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my internship at the ad agency. Fingers crossed.

No comments: