Tuesday, December 12, 2006

More Than Ever

Today was a fantastic day. I had work today but I spent most of the day doing research about Dubai and Muslim dressing. You see the Ad consultancy I am working at has been commissioned to decorate the private premier client rooms of a particular bank. So each room has a theme of a particular country, and for the Dubai room, we hadn't decided on the type of fabric for the walls. My boss needed to know what fabrics would be suitable to put up on the walls and what not to. So my job was to research which fabric to use. It was quite interesting because I learnt alot about Dubai and the Ghutra, which is the head dress of men in the UAE. Dubai is a real modern city. So beautiful from the pictures. I promise I will visit the UAE one day.



Also, I had lunch with my colleagues today. Super cheenapok kind. But I mean that in the best way possible haha. I find it funny sometimes. When people meet me first they are very wary of me haha. I think it's because I speak properly and I make it a point to dress sharply. So I feel they are a little wary of me because they expect me to be a jackass of a rich kid. Yeah well but that's so not me really. One thing I am not shy to admit is that I am a down to earth person. And it never ever bothers me what background a person comes from. That's not important. And I think even though its just day 2 I get along very nice with my colleagues. I think they totally relaxed after they realised that I'm more down to earth than even most people. I get a kick out of surprising people I admit haha. On first sight they expect a snob and an ass haha. And it's nice to know that I make friends with people of all sorts of kinds and backgrounds at the end of the day no matter what the first impression.

So over lunch with my colleagues, we walked along Purvis Street because my office is there (I need to go shopping with SQ there!) So then we bump into a colleague who came back on her off day to feed the 22 cats who stay along purvis. I thought that was very nice. What she does is she pays for sterilization and feeds the cats about every other day.



OH and we were walking past a restaurant with fantastic food when all of a sudden we saw Adrian Pang and Michelle Chia filming inside the restaurant. It was so cool because we were just outside the window like a metre away from them. It was really cool because I've seen their food show on TV mobile so many times and it was cool to see them in real life! I took a phot even though the cameraman was telling me not to. Whatever.


After work I met Professor Marco and Norainee for dinner as a last minute arrangement. Professor Marco is leaving SMU because he got a great offer to go back to Holland to teach. And besides, he's dutch so I think he'll feel more at home. I am very happy for him, but I'll miss him a shit lot. Marco has been a real friend to me.

More amazing than Marco leaving, was that my schoolmate Norainee (married already) announced that she was pregnant. My first reaction was OH MY GOD. And she showed me the ultrasound. To be honest I felt a little scared for her inititially, but then I realised that you know it's just one of these meant to be kind of things. I felt so happy I could have cried. Keyword was "could have". Yeah I know I'm abit gay when it comes to happy life events. She'll make a good mom. The only thing wierd is that one of my school kakis will be a mom. Bizzare square. But I think its very 2008 of her to have a baby. She's smart so she'll be able to handle the work. She's also got a great caring and loving family so she'll do just fine. I am so happy for her. I can't wait to see her baby. It'll be due May 2007. Looks like someone has something to occupy her summer hols haha.

After saying goodbye to the big dutch guy and Norainee I went home. I decided to call Laucik and Vincent because I haven't heard from them in awhile. They are 2 of my best friends from army and it was nice to hear from them. I am arranging to meet up with them next week after work. I miss these guys alot.

Checked my e-mail when I got home and found out I got a A+ for my Retail Management class. I am bloody proud of my A+. I worked my ass of this term. I got 3 yucky B's this term, but I got 2 A+'s . And that I'm bloody proud of it. I find I do better in my business modules, and I can't wait to get started on marketing with Serene, Gabriel and Eric next term. We're so going to kick ass.

When me, Marco and Norainee sat down for coffee at Starbucks, there was a Christmas tree lit up. I was then thinking about what a fantastic year its been. Of how Marco would be starting a new life in Holland and how Norainee was going to be a mom next year, and how there might be big changes for me next year. I then realised how amazing life is. How it always changes beyond our imagination. Gosh I feel so much older! But alot happier. It's such an amazing year. And to think I get to celebrate xmas with the people I love the most. That means alot to me. Looks like I'll be looking forward to xmas more than ever this year.

No comments: