Saturday, October 20, 2007

Norainee's a mom. Naf is getting married on mon. Cheryl is talking about saving for a car and stuff. My god we're getting old.

I think very soon we have to realise that we have to carry more responsibilities on our shoulders, and the choices we make don't just affect us.

Gabe said I'd be happier doing something other than banking. I agree. I'd love to be an artist. Or a singer. Or a chef. Or a designer. Or maybe just a bum. Ok cancel last. But a job means alot more to me than just having fun. It's something that pays the bills. It's stability. It's also the frivolous things like prestige and status. But more importantly it's something that will let me take care of my family.

Anyone can get an average job and live an average life. I could live with that myself. Personally I am easily contented. But I don't want that for my family.

When my dad had a heart attack it's like we had to worry if we could keep the house and pay the bills. Even before that I remember we had to be so careful with our money during the recession years. Those days seemed like a different lifetime. And I never want that for my family. I never want to be in the position where I can't pay for someone's medical bills, or education. The thing about life is you can never be sure.

Gabe said he read an article about fathers making excuses for overworking, saying that they wanted to provide for their family. I think it's good he brought it up because that's a reality. I just feel sorry for these guys. If it's really just an excuse, then they must feel terrible lying to themselves. These things happen. But only if you let them. When I saw my boss from Citibank with his family, all well taken care of and still close to their dad. I knew it was possible. You didn't have to sacrifice family for success. This was how I wanted my life to be.

I think alot of people think certain jobs will suck the life out of you. But only if you let them. Watching my mom run 4 restaurants and still have time to take care of 3 kids and keep in touch with friends, I've seen that it's possible to juggle. That's why in my life I've always put people as my top priority, whether friends or family. And I don't ever fear I will lose sight of what I believe in.

Just watching friends in school, sometimes they get so busy they don't make time for their girlfriends or friends you would not believe. But then I remember that everybody has different priorities for life. And its important not to follow people when it comes to setting your priorities. Everyone should have their own set of goals, and stick to them no matter what.

I think if we limit ourselves we're only shortchanging ourselves and our family. No one gets the balance perfect, but you just have to always remember what you're fighting for, and be willing to give your best right from the start. I won't change the world. I can't make it a better place. I don't think I have enough power. But whatever it is, I'm going to make sure my family can enjoy life. And that's enough to make me happier than anyone.

No comments: