Monday, October 22, 2007

I was watching stuff on the MTV website when I saw the link to the Angelina Jolie video. It showed her in Africa in some poor parts of the country and it's almost embarrassing to watch them live like that. While we are worrying about crystal jade or din tai fung, millions of people die from having nothing to eat.

When I was in Primary school I made a class newspaper called Go Green! which was about the preservation of nature. Back then I thought I would be a biologist and live in Africa. I wanted to save the world. I was an idealist. How things have changed.

It's not that we don't care for people, but we're so caught up in the game of our own lives that we forget that there is another reality out there. It makes you sad to see people living like this. But it's hard to pull ourselves out of the context of our little cubby hole in Singapore and see that life is not good for everyone.

Part of me has always been the bohemian, idealistic, humanitarian person, but is it too late to reclaim what's left? Please visit the links below and you can decide for yourself how you feel about these issues.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1509772&vid=61385

http://www.poverty.com/

No comments: