Saturday, July 21, 2007

(Un)Fortunately it's been one of those stay home saturdays. I guess I had lunch at Sun with Moon so it's not really counted.

Had time to sit down in front of my laptop and tidy up a new resume I've been working on. This one has absolutely no trace of fun on it. No tangs, no marriott, no advertising. It's like the marketing bit never existed.

On fri I went to the economic seminar at the ritz that was organized by our investment banking department. I asked my boss if I could attend and he asked me to come along and sit in. In 1 hour our top economics head summed up the forecast for the Asian markets in the next 6 months and I was quite impressed.

Surpringly he spoke in human english and I totally enjoyed the seminar. He made it simple so that the clients invited could also understand without using the annoying citilingo that abreviates everything. I was busy circling and writing notes into the nice graphs they distributed for us to refer to.

Recently I've been speculating when the next recession will be coming. Every day the papers display news of record prices of property and there are so many advertisments for condos and luxury bungalows. But apprently, the economic forecast shows no sign of a slowdown well at least till after 2008. What they said was that the US labour market is booming and cushioning the impact of the housing slum in the US. The European and Asian markets are also decoupling from the US, which means the shit that the US flings affects us less.

The papers reported today that graduates are having a field day because the job market is excellent. Excellent! The question is for how long?

It's scary. Because in 2 years time when we graduate, there's no damn telling what could happen in the job market. And initially I was thinking of taking 3 years, but I am less willing to take that risk now that I forsee a big recession on the horizon.

Because my last summer is coming, I've decided to take up more modules this term to pull up my GPA. Initially I was all set to work this term, but I think it's not a practical idea because this is our last term to pull up our gpa before we apply for our final summer.

It seriously feels like every step of the next 2 years is going to have to be one well crafted plan. I just think it will be sad when this frenzy is over and we really hit the real world.

No comments: