Friday, July 06, 2007

One thing that citibank has taught me is to grow up.

From the sillies and heeheehahas of pricewaterhouse coopers, it's been a serious change. I still remember my first day at Citi in the lift when I saw everyone wearing a stern face.

3 weeks later with a new wardrobe and a well practiced pokerface, I finally feel like I blend in.

Today we had a department dinner at my boss's place. Alfred just moved in and he kindly invited us into his home. The house was beautiful. It was a 4 storey place at duchess. Everything was a shade of silver or white. Even the mercedes. I guess Alfred must have worked hard the last couple of years.

Alfred's wife Rachael was quick to say they till had some Island Creamery ice cream left in the fridge and I promplty thanked them for contributing to my college fund. He then introduced us to his daughters, both in sc now. And then standing on the balconey overlooking the pool, I realised that Alfred was a lucky guy. Not the pool I mean. Ok maybe the pool. But I meant what a life. And what more can you ask for.

In the company of the managers and the other staff, we had a great dinner over Joanna's choice of catering. I enjoy talking to the managers because they come from all over and they bring a fresh perspective to the conversation. Sometimes the managers find it hard to talk to anyone else because they come from so diverse backgrounds. From Bangladesh, mumbai, japan, san fran to khazakstan ( I know what you're thinking), they have very different stories to tell.

Personally, I love talking to the managers even though they're alot older. I find I get along with them very well. They aren't people from country x or country y, they're global citizens, and I identify with that in many ways. I started talking with Daizaburo-san about my last trip to tokyo and he recommended a few authentic japanese places to eat in Singapore. Assem was sharing with me about her 7 years in New York and I asked her of some places to visit when I go next summer. Abed was telling us the whole india vs bangladesh thing. Rachael was telling me of how her daughters are enjoying school at scgs.

I didn't have to talk about school. Didn't have to say what I was studying. Didn't have to say when I was going to graduate. When you stop seeing yourself as a kid, people also take cue and realise that there is alot more to you than just your age.

Normally when people first talk to you as an intern, they talk about the usual things. But when you converse beyond the scope of a small kid, and when you show that you know where they are coming from, they immediately let you into their world and they being to see you as an equal. It amazes me how much people can have in common although we come from different worlds. And I guess at this age we are beginning to grow up to the point where we can identify with people beyond age, race or religion.

Nothing short of a nerve-wracking experience, I was invited for a lunch with a small group of managers and partners with my former employers at pwc, and that was the ultimate test of holding my own. And when the head of auditing sat down with us, you could see the managers turn into mice. I have learnt that the best way to handle such situations is to firstly just be yourself and be sincere in your conversation, and to share your distinct knowledge with other people. And people will see you for your maturity and self-confidence.

From a practical standpoint, the many social events at Citibank have thrown me in the deep end of the pool and have honed my ability to connect with people of any background. And not only that, but have given me the confidence to be me myself even when others are not. To be self-assured and professional in any circumstance.

If there is one thing that citibank has taught me, it is to grow up.

No comments: