Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NOT THE ONLY FIERCE ONE

I met vincent for drinks today. At 930 my phone was buzzing and to my surprise his name was flashing. He asked me to join him for some drinks. Just like the old days, he dragged me to some ktv pub. I thought of all the times we used to go drinking and sing chinese ktv songs. I was coughing like shit though, and my rendition of David Tao's ai hen jian dan went up in flames for the crowd to hear.

Vincent is now the head chef at Monty's Bar at boat quay. I am very happy for him. Since we left the army we both promised ourselves we'd make it big. I told him how I've been working at citibank and pwc this holiday. "Eh you farking fierce ar you," he said with his usual pai kia voice. "Kan nee na you think you the only fierce one ar?" I replied. "cheebai you," he said. Then I got a big slap on the shouler with his huge hand. The good old army days reborn.

I feel a special kinship with Vincent. Not just "bros". A real brotherhood. We are so different and yet we're both the same. Vincent is a friend you can depend on for anything. He's never calculative with money. Never asks for favours. Always serves it up straight. Always tries his best. Always places great importance to his friends. And I know one day he'll make it big. Talking with him sometimes feels like looking into a mirror. Not entirely, but similar in the ways that are important. And seeing him do well is like feeling like I have succeeded as well. It's hard to describe.

Vincent is a person that really treasures his friendship. He's a person that would probably die for any one of his friends. I can't say the same about alot of people I know. I've only seen him a couple of times since army ended, but every time we meet it's like no time has passed. And everytime we do so we're all get one step closer to our dream. Watching out for each other so that we know we're on track. Vincent talks the talk. But he also walks the walk. And that's a shit lot of walking for the amount of talking. No pretence. No airs. No politically correct. It's fries with no salt. Vincent is no bullshit friend. He's the fucking real deal.

Vincent is a real special guy. A real one-of-a-kind original. He can be such a monkey sometimes, but he has values like a monk, determination like a warrior and a special charisma about him. He's not a friend. He's a real brother. But hey Vincent knn you think you the only fierce one ar?

No comments: