Sunday, July 22, 2007

A big theme in my life is friends. And probably because I make a commitment to my friends, they become alot more important. Unfortunately, life is more than just about friends. It's about school, work, leisure, love, family and even just personal time, so it occupies a small fraction of the pie.

So as it is, if you do the math, the time that's left with your frends are, well, pretty precious. And recently it's been especially difficult trying to make the time to meet up.

I've always been the organizer type. It's just me. I'll probably call everyone and find out their schedules to meet up. So I've resigned myself to the fact that some people are more than happy to arrange, while others are more than happy to just show up.

What annoys me most are the people who are friends out of convenience. These friends hang out with you in school when no arrangements are required. When it's convenient for them. Of course you don't know it then, but unfortunately, these friends disappear out of sight once school ends. They go, "Yeah we'll meet up soon yeah." But then you probably don't hear from them much. And even when you do, they're abit blah. They're quick to tell you if they're busy. After all, it doesn't really matter to them. The kind of friends that you know what they're up to, but in return they know nothing about how you're doing.

Life only get's busier and more complicated. And eventually it's your real friends who make the effort to say hi or to meet up. It's not about who arranges, because some people just don't like to do that, it's about everyone making the effort to come together to catch up. And even if we're all busy, it's nice to chat over the phone and see how your friends are doing.

This holiday has been a good time for me to re-evaluate some of my relationships with people. It's when everyone is busy then you really realise who really cares. And the people who matter. I am grateful for all the good times that I have hanging out with my closest friends. People who I know will be there for me even when life goes up and down.

For someone who values his friends so much, I think it's important to be with the people that invest as much effort into their friendship as you. And it becomes a real waste investing your time in the friends that are going to fade away once things get busy. So if you're reading, I ask you to think about the people who treasure your time the most, who are keen to know how you're doing, who make the effort, who are always watching your back and hoping the best for you. Because those are the friends that matter the most.

No comments: