Thursday, July 05, 2007

It's the time of the year when course bidding is the new hot topic of discussion. In a few days we're supposed to bid for our modules this coming term and everyone is slowly but surely beginning to think about school again.

I have to make a decision between doing the normal school thing, or doing my CFA level 1 this coming december, which means I will be taking 1 or 2 normal modules, but doing self-study on top of that to study for the CFA exam.

CFA stands for chartered financial anaylst which also stands for "fucking difficult". The pass rates on this baby is 38%, meaning it's one nice line in my resume, or a wasted school term. But it's beyond just a risky qualification, it's a crash course on the most important financial concepts, and the knowledge alone is probably worth the pain.

Unfortunately, this self-inflicted pain costs about $1500 not including the books. All six of them. And I might be thinking of going for CFA lessons, which are another $3000 for lessons, notes, mock exams, quizes and what not. Damn. But I consider this an investment for my future, a return that no fund can beat. Which is why I'm glad I'm earning my keep this summer, and my fat citibank paycheque will probably be burnt on paying for my school fees at ktc kaplan.

This is a huge risk. But one of the fundamentals of investing is high risk, high returns. And the risk is managed if I promise to work my ass off. And I that I can do.

But finance might not be my thing, and another fundamental to investing is never put your eggs in one basket. One basket for finance, and another basket for marketing. That's why I hope I can help my mom's friend who works at one of the oldest auction houses called Sotheby's. They only have 2 big auctions in one year which is the south-east asian art auction this coming september. I love art and I love auctions, and I will be glad to help out for the auction.

I don't think it's marketing per se, but it's art and I love art. Hopefully it will be a foot in the door for the luxury goods marketing industry, something I am really interested in.

No comments: