Friday, January 05, 2007

When I Graduate I May Just Die

Today I had a finishing touch class. I had class at 8.30am, and although I set my alarm for 6.45am, I only got out of bed at 7.45. Do not ask me how I managed to dress formal and still make it on time for class. I literally flew.

I guess in a way I've been gearing up for this class. Finishing Touch is all about etiquette. It's all about being polished and getting ready for the working world. Our Prof is this smiley nice guy called Clement Ong. He made us poke a straw through a potato today. One thing I don't understand is why we do finishing touch class so late in school. If we had learnt these skills from our first year, they could have been put to better use. It's like after drafting resumes, cover letters and applying for internships for so long, only now then they give us a class on it. It's a little redundant.

However, I can't speak for everyone. I think alot of my best friends haven't had much time to piece together a proper resume or really map out their career plans. I don't blame them though. Between school, friends, family and CCA, there really isn't much time left for anything. One thing they're doing right though, is being on track to finishing school at SMU. And that's the most important thing.

This year I realise a new resolution on the horizon. And that's balance. Last term I did well balancing work, family and friends. But this term I need to do well. Which means I have to be more focused. There is no way I will compromise my time with friends, so this means my studying time has to be 100% focused.

Seriously sometimes keeping a balance can be overwhelming. But I thank God for my supportive family and friends, and I know somehow I'll be ok. Boons was telling me how she's damn grateful for the porkfriends. So am I. And the Randoms, the Smube Supps Goofsers, the bros and the ishes. They've made every day of school like play.

So the FT class was great. I met TK Terence who has been stopped by the mrt security 9 times for bag check (SERIOUS OK), a nice Clara who is the Eurythmix (Dance) president and Ken, a guy who started his own Youth Entrepeneurship business. Really interesting. I think one thing about SMU, is that it really is different. People are out to make friends, and that's the best part of school. There's no point going to school if you don't meet new friends (and keep your best ones also!). Damit la seriously. I love SMU. When I graduate I may just die.

No comments: