Monday, April 02, 2007

Bap msged me from Japan to say he got me an electric MIDI keyboard for my mac. Been wanting one for a month now but wasn't able to save up for one since the onset of the exams and the sudden increase in junk food expenditures. Was damn happy. I guess Bap knows me well. Thanks Bap.

When we were young, mom and bap used to take us to the bookshop. They let us pick one book at a visit. Any book we wanted. I've always loved fact books. And Dorling Kindersly books are the most beautiful fact books. Of course, they weren't cheap, and when we were that age, we didn't really know better. All we wanted were the shiny books with he glossy pages and colourful pictures. Whatever it was, they always let us buy books because they knew reading was important.

More than just books, my parents have always made sure we've never had to worry about the material things. There's a fine line between spoiling your children and providing them with all their needs. Somehow my parents managed to figure it out.

I think over the years, my dad has worked especially hard to make sure we've never had to worry about money. That we could just focus on our lives and making the best out of it. That we could just concentrate on giving our best while he makes sure we've got a decent roof over our heads. I've always considered myself lucky.

As I grow up, I feel alot closer to my dad because I am beginning to feel what it is like being him. He has shown me that being a man really means working hard so that your family will never have to worry. This is the side of my dad that I respect the most. And I think its a side of me that I feel strongest about. I don't ever want my children to have to worry every time they buy something. I don't want my family to worry about things that are beyond their control. And I always want my friends and family to feel like I can take care of them no matter what happens. And I think that this has always motivated me to do my best.

Now, more than ever, I feel the need to rise to the challenge. Especially in school and work. If working hard now means my family will get to live well, then I'll get it done hook or by crook. I see friends who are squandering their chances now, at one of the most important times of their lives, and unfortunately, no amount of encouragement can change a person. I would be most ashamed if I came home from work knowing that my family is doing worse off only because I didn't try my best. I don't mean to sound like a caveman, but it's my honest opnion that as guys, it's our prime duty to make sure our family is taken cared of. No matter what.

I am just grateful to have a dad like bap. Someone who has reinforced my own beliefs, and always encouraged me to try my best. And to rise to the challenge, and be a man. A caveman.

No comments: