Saturday, January 12, 2008

Watched another episode of Project Runway. I could watch it the whole day if there were that many episodes to watch.

I have an affinity with design and art, so fashion is just one of the million ways in which they can be expressed. Watching the designers work, I totally understand how they feel. Working for deadlines. Making sure your work is commercial but still representative of your style. Working with the materials you've got. Keeping at it when you're out of inspiration.

When I see a piece of clothing, I immediately mentally cut it into the separate pattern pieces in my head. It automatically fits into a collection of other related clothes. When I see a shirt, I can automatically visualize the pants that go with it and the ones that don't. It then passes through millions of mental swatches of colors and patterns. That's how clothes process in my head.

The last couple of weeks I've churned out 18 paintings for this major project I'm undertaking. I've never painted so much in such a short space of time. It's taught me how to squeeze every ounce of creativity even if I'm out of ideas. Be fierce. That's my motto.

Some people are born to sing, to play sports, to be an academic, to lead or to get rich. I just want to do some art.

No comments: