Monday, August 06, 2007

Met Alan at his office today and went to Starbucks for coffee. Franklin Templeton is just across the road so it wasn't hard to get there. Friendly guy. AC boy also. From Deutsche to UBS to Templeton. Must not be too shabby then. Speaking to him he said the job involved meeting alot of companies, and also forecasting P&L and calculating ratios. Which funnily enough sounds related to what I've done at pdubs and citi combined. He said the stress of managing funds is like a dull pain. Low intensity but always there. Ouch.

I wonder if this might be something I will enjoy doing as compared to corporate banking? Only recently have I been able to see the full scope of what my department does, and this has really heightened my appreciation for my work. So I'm thinking if I should try something new or stick to something familiar next year? Whatever it is I'm just glad I won't have to think about it just yet.

I just wish we had more time to try absolutely everything. Uni (if not maybe MBA) is our last stop before work and schools should really emphasize learning on the job rather than in the classroom. At times I think "how the fuck would I know this if not for the fact that I'm here now?" And I don't think it's good that people should go into jobs without knowing wth it is they're really doing until they regret it.

No comments: