Thursday, March 23, 2006



Happy To Bee Me


The last few days have been busy in school. Mostly project work and wrapping up with my volunteering with the kids at the kidsREAD program. For the last couple of weeks I've been going to Serangoon to teach under-priveleged children how to read. I can't begin to tell you how meaningful this has been for me. I was apprehensive at first because I was afraid I couldn't handle children well. But I'm glad to say that this is not me anymore. On Friday we took the kids to the Botanics and on Sunday SM Goh Chok Tong came to see us reading to the children. We were on the news! I'm going to miss the kids and I hope they will remember some of the things we have taught them. I'm so ready to be a dad haha. I know I'll love being a dad.


In school, work has been pretty taxing, but I love school. Thanks to my friends like Norainee, Chloe, Syaz, Naf, Cheryl and my LTB mates from social sicence, I really look forward to coming to school every day. Thanks to all the presentations, I've made yet another ridiculously funny video. Where else can you dress up like a bumble bee, or wear a chicken suit, act like a gay cowboy or Tom Cruise and get good grades because of that? Only in SMU. I just filled out my SMU ambassador form today. I think this is the best way my love for school with serve me well. I love SMU and the friends I've met here.

Lately I've been thinking about the Summer holidays. I really want to maximise my time for the next few months and do something really meaningful. I've already started sending out emails for internships. I think this is the best way to create a dynamic portfolio of myself. I've also been attending many school talks on careers to get me prepared for my future. It's been too long since I've been excited about the future, but now I finally feel I have control over my goals in life and the path that I'm taking. And I'm grateful that SMU provides the best environment to be happy and achieve my goals.

Also, I've just gotten started on Anthony Robbin's book: Awaken The Giant Within. I've heard of how Anthony Robbin's boks have changed peoples' lives and I wanted to see this for myself. I've read the first 2 chapters already and I'm compelled to finish. Most people don't read self-enrichment books, but I guess I'm just one of those wierdos who do haha. This book is mostly about changing one's life and setting new goals. A goal I've been thinking of is spending more time with my family and being closer to them. Since the army, I spend less time with them and I've grown slightly distant. Not far apart, but noticably distant from how close I used to be wth them. Is this what growing up is about? I'm determined not to let things slip into the hands of circumstance. I better read the section on relationships. Will see how this goes.

My friends have been pretty busy. All of them. Well ok I think just the boys. I've still had a chance to hang out with my gal pals like Shiqin, Norainee etc. but the guys are busy with work. Nick has been pretty worn out with things at Quiksilver and my pals like Kingyau and Dzarrin are ever busy with school business. Not that I'm not. But I think I have a "hey I've worked my ass off these few days so I deserve some me time" mechanism that seems to keep me alive. On second thoughts, not just alive. Alive and happy. Happy to bee me again.

No comments: