Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Just finished my midterms online. I'm doing this psychology course with Harvard on happiness and it's been amazing. It's been an eye opener.

I sometimes wonder why people like to put themselves in categories. Arts student, Business student. Banker, Social worker. Nerdy, Cool. Artist, Scientist. It's almost like we force a stereotype upon ourselves. And we are alot more interesting than a stereotype. So why should we be only one type of person?

For a long time I couldn't reconcile where my personality fit it, where my career goals were, or how I wanted to live my life. And I've given up because it doesn't make sense trying to be a 2 dimensional figure. It's just best to be me.

So what if school ends in a few months? I'm still Ian. Part writer, part artist, part workaholic, part white collar worker, part bohemian, part conservative, part liberal, part nerdy, part hedonist, part something else.

Since I began to embrace all my interests I've been alot happier and it's made me feel like, well, me again. And I hope you can also give yourself the permission to feel like you too.

No comments: