Sunday, April 23, 2006

FRESHMAN NO MORE

Not long ago, I was sitting opposite Professor Dawn at the admissions interview, telling her how how I knew I would like SMU, and before I knew it, a year in school flew by and I was thanking her for being a great psychology teacher for my class. I can't believe how fast a year has flown by.

Just one year ago, I wasn't so happy with life. I had been bumming around for too long and I was waiting for some miracle to happen. And it did. SMU happened. This year has been filled with making some of my most treasured friendships. The friends I've made have encouraged me to push myself further in everything I do. They've come to be a support group that I've come to depend on to remember the important things in life.

In terms of school and work, I'm glad to say my grades are still fine and I'm working hard but at the same time not sacrificing any time for my friends and myself. I know many friends who have lost abit of their perspective with regards to finding balance, but I think it's all about prioritizing the important things in life. It's easy to get caught up with work and forget the other aspects of life. But I refuse to give in. Life is too short to be spent on work only. The crazy "sieze the day" part of me never lets me waste a moment of the day.

I've had so many opportunities this school year. It's really been amazing. I've grown as a person, and I am grateful for each experience. It's just the start of Summer, and already I've been voted into the floorball committee, planned 2 marketing internships at the Marriott Hotel and Tangs department store, and have a month long summer study trip to the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. I'm probably going to be working all summer, but I feel happy. I've finally gotten my life back on track, and I feel like for the first time, I'm in charge of my own life now.

So cheers to a great year in school. My first year in school. The best year in school. Yet.

No comments: